Friday, November 18, 2011

Who Doesn't Appreciate a Good Root Canal Surprise?!!

 Um....ME!!


["For there was never yet philosopher
That could endure the toothache patiently."]

I came in today to catch up on my 30 Days of Giving Thanks Thread ....which I've seriously slacked on over the course of the week.    I do have a pretty decent excuse however...wanna hear it?  Sure you do. :]  First off I've been super duper busy with this holiday season.  Thanking God for that!  

During a routine dentist appointment a few days ago, I was greeting by my dentists with a surprise ROOT CANAL.  I secretly cursed him throughout the entire 45 minute procedure for which I was ill prepared ...seeing as it was a SURPRISE ROOT CANAL I did not have much choice in the matter nor time for any sort of preemptive measures...such as cancelling the appointment or planning/eating dinner.  .  In fact the hubs and I enthusiastically discussed delicious entree  possibilities on our drive to the dentist office thinking we would be in and out of there in no time at all. We were both pretty hungry by that point as my appointment was scheduled for 5pm [which happens to be our exact dinner time].  Silly us...waited thinking we could enjoy something scrumptious afterward.  [note to self: Do not schedule dentist appointments during dinner time hours]

Have I ever mentioned how much of a HUGE baby I am when it comes to having to actually go to the dentist?  Well I am.  I realize most people have a 'healthy fear' of the dentist~ but my fear spills over into full blown, heart racing, sweat pouring, shaking in my boots panic attacks.  Here are some of the reason I feel this happens: 

  • 1. Pain/Numbing Meds do not work well for me.   I need triple the amount of a normal healthy person in order for it to be affective. Otherwise it wears off in the matter of 10 minutes at which point I can feel EVERYTHING...which then becomes a problem for the fact that I am a GINORMOUS BABY when it comes to mouth pain.  Any other pain I can deal with relatively well....tooth pain however is beyond my scope of tolerance.
  •  
  • 2. Most Dentists will not take my word when I tell them that Pain/Numbing Meds do not work for me & I need extra shots of medication in order for it to take affect. [if I am requesting shots..this should give the clue that I am being honest & truthful]

  • 3. It's usually only after nearly biting a digit off do they realize that I was shitting-them-not  when I mentioned Pain/Numbing Meds do not work for me.  At this point any kind of decent Dr/Patient  relationship that could have been is thrown straight out the window.  I resent the dentist for not listening to me to begin with & no longer trust him/her.   I fear him from that moment on...forever...no matter what.....he represents a person I can not trust &  also unbearable pain  in my eyes.  Likewise, The dentist then dislikes me for being a huge baby & also fears having to work anywhere near my chompers for fear that I may bite his fingers off...or attempt to. We are only people after all. 

That's how I've worked it all out in my mind....and trust me, I've had plenty of time and opportunity to figure this out. As much as I despise it...I've spent many hours of my life sitting in the dentist chair and hating every minute of it ~

So back to my current situation.  I had the surprise root canal done....and have had complications with it since...so have had to endure going back to the dreaded dentist for further treatment...because nothing in my life can just be easy or pain-free . :]~~~ 

I'm still in a great deal of discomfort...actually PAIN would be a more accurate  description. My worse fear has been realized and I am indeed in a tremendous amount of dreaded pain.  I am willing however  to tough it out for a few days to see if the antibiotics kick in...because quite frankly I'd rather suffer through this pain then have to go back in for perhaps even more painful procedures [such as sitting in the chair with heart palpitations all sweaty and stuff]

So without further ado here is my catch-up Giving Thanks Posts which I've consistently posted up on my FB page but totally slacked in doing so here:  I do believe I left off on Day 9:

  • 30 Days of Giving Thanks
  • DAY 10:I am thankful that [in exactly one month from today] I am going home to see my beautifulz xoxoxo So excited! :] JJTAA ♥
  •  
  • Day 11:I am Thankful I was born in the Land of the Free~ Home of the Brave ♥
  •  
  • Day 12:I am thankful that I am a skilled multi-tasker [years of practice]
  •  
  • Day 13:I am Thankful to God for giving me the ability to learn. I never loved learning as much as I do at this point in my life.....and every single day I learn something new, useful, foolish, silly, funny, complicated, easy....Whatever it is...no matter what... I LOVE TO LEARN!!
  •  
  • Day 14:I am thankful I am able to express myself through my art. It fills my life & me with only joy and happiness~ There is no room left for anything negative. I LOVE what I do and who I am! I am SO grateful to God
  •  
  • Day 15:  I am thankful I stocked up on pudding & yogurt because today I had a surprise root canal done~ I am also thankful for pain medication because my jaw hurts. haha 
  • :/
  •  
  • Day 16:Today I am Thankful for my niece who despite being extremely busy with her life & studying to become a Dentist~graciously took a LONG break from her studies to give me some awesome advice. Thank You Ashley! You are going to be THE BEST dentist ever! The world needs more compassionate MD's like you! ♥ I love my amazing family :] 
  •  
  • Day 17:  I am thankful to God for blessing me with a fulfilling and sometimes challenging life. I would not change one thing...not even for one minute....ever. ♥






No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some lurve :]